Back to School

A full time Digital Media course for the next six months is sure to test my comfort zone. Going back to school certainly puts me out there and exposes me to a whole new world of experience.

At once it is a challenge to have mortgage repayments and meet the daily distractions of the modern family but also keep on top of the course work. So things are buzzing along at a frenetic rate around here, and keeping mindful and maintaining a positive grateful presence is even more crucial.

This weekend, just to add another layer of fuzz, features a wedding where my wife is one of the bridal party. So her exercise and preparations have reached a denouemont and she is leaving tonight for the big event. Today I have to get a haircut (it is longish and foppish to go with my student-look) and make sure I make the three hour drive to the little mountain village by lunchtime tomorrow for the ceremony. A big Italian wedding in the mountains - should be something impressive.

And being sober is liberating. Just that - i have time to study, have time to spend with the girls, have time to work on myself - like tonight, a house to myself and what would usually have happened would be a marathon drinking session, starting around eleven am.

Tonight I will rest and prepare, like all evenings are for these days. One time my wife had a conference and was away for five nights and I drank liters of wine and she came home to a blubbering wreck, my blood tests showed my liver was failing. I used to do that to myself - like put myself through a gruelling drinking expedition as though I was on some alcohol endurance test. It is not what life is about anymore. Stay sober and be good to yourself...

7 comments:

  1. The going back to school thing - good on you. I have just completed 6 months of it whilst juggling kids, home, husband and health - tough, mad, stressy...but so stimulating, so worthwhile. You will love it.

    I also wanted to let you know that I print out your blog posts and show them to my mother (currently in hospital drying out. Liver failure, renal failure plus a whole load of other alcohol related issues.

    Yesterday she actually asked me if you had posted again.

    So, thank you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to have the peace and knowledge that you will be able to accomplish all of these things and not worry that a long drunk period and hangover will steal a lot of precious time and energy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I identified with every single thing you wrote. I'm preparing to apply to grad school and wonder how in the bloody hell I am going to manage it on top of work and children. But I know that it will all work out. It always does.

    When my ex would travel on business I would take those home alone opportunities to go on extravagant benders. So sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! We can do such amazing things with all the time we used to waste on booze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did the wedding go? Longing to hear! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog and found it be really helpful in my evaluation

    ReplyDelete
  7. newly sober - a couple of weeks now - I have been reading many recovery blogs. It helps to realize that my 'problem' is not very unique, I'm in good company with many wonderful, intelligent, creative people. we just are people who can't drink. i think i've read every post on your blog. you write so well, and so honestly. I'm so happy for your sobriety. glad you're feeling well and living well. way to go! and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here