134th Post

Have been talking with my lawyer - she is of course well spoken, clearly elucidating and almost phonetically pronouncing each word as it leaves her mouth.  She shares the same name as my mother, but she listens to me when I talk, which is something my own mother would never grant me - the dignity of active listening.  So we get on well and she is acting for me.  I have given her a short document on my position and the antecedents leading up to the incident so she is well backgrounded on the situation.

And she mentioned mediation again.  And this is what I said.

Some relationships sour and turn fetid and are irrecoverable.  There is simply nothing that can be done to salvage or recover the situation to any sort of respectful working arrangement.  Mediation is not going to do it.  Listening and cataloging the history of pain and suffering is not going to do it.  The best strategy is to simply accept the situation for what it is - broken - and move on.  Perhaps time may heal the indignation and hurt, but I feel giving the whole shebang even another second of oxygen is simply wasting my time and resources.

She was taken a black by this, and saw the passion and fervor in my voice - (she said not to talk with such vehemence in court) and sort of sat back in her chair and shrugged her shoulders.

"OK, no mediation then.  So we're going for a win, or a loss.  No middle ground."

"Mmm,"  I nodded.
*

Am I being a stubborn alcoholic?  No.  I have dealt with this mess a decade ago (albeit by drinking my way through it, which was whatever it was) and it is not for my mother to choose when she re-ignites the fire and me to play out my role.  I have moved on and, although it is hard to say, actually forgiven her and all involved for their roles in it - and myself too - we were all naive and foolish and let the heat of the moment carry us away.

But, with ten years of hindsight, and a year of sobriety, I don't want to go back there, and trawl through the broken glass and hurtful shit that was said and try to make some sort of patched up mediation out of it.  It was war at the time, and that was it.  Things happened and wwre said and done.

Moving on has been such a release and allowed me to concentrate on other more productive and stimulating things like online shopping career wife kids etc.  I am not willing to go into a series of mediation meetings and validate all the old crap again.  What happens on the field stays on the field.

*

What do you think?  Am I still thinking like an alcoholic - or am I moving forward and letting the past stay there?  Have your say.. everything helps doesn't it?


by talkTECH. Browse more infographics.

21 comments:

  1. I don't know. How's that for elucidating? I guess if it were me, I would want to try one more time when I had a year of sobriety under my belt just so I could say, "Okay, it was what I thought it was and it wasn't distorted by my drinking. I've answered that question and I am done."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That sounds like a very tough situation. Is the proposed mediation about repairing the relationship? or coming to a mutually acceptable agreement with a view to keeping things out of court? the latter sounds like a good idea. your instincts on the first option - that you're not letting yourself get dragged down into it again makes a lot of sense. setting boundaries. Hopefully time heals all wounds, as they say. I know you're not for AA, but you know the Serenity Prayer, right? god (or not) grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change… the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not say enough about the art of "moving on". I wouldn't say that you are thinking like a stubborn alcoholic but rather you are wise enough to indentify what you want and do not want in your life and are realizing compromise isn't always the answer. Time is too precious to waste on bad company:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need more space from this family situation until you are on really solid happy healthy settled ground with your sobriety. You, your wife and kids need to be the focus and maybe, maybe in a year or two or three you might be ready to go to mediation with your mum and maybe, maybe you'll have some compassion then but maybe not, maybe you'll just always want to stay away and that's fine too. I don't think living with anger and hatred will be a good thing long term although you say you've forgiven and that's great .. but for now I think you should just stay away and focus on your immediate lovely life. How are the chickens? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mrs. D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where are you? I miss your posts and makes me worry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please keep posting buddy - I am a 34 yer old Alcoholic living in California - it's only because of you and the way I relate to your posts that I have been able to go 45 days sober - unfortunately when you relapsed so did I... Please just let us know how you are doing bro.

    Brian-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we all need each other don't we Brian?

      Delete
    2. Indeed we do ... I have been blowing it ;(

      Delete
    3. Exactly, it's good to share your feelings with others and read about how other people are getting on with alcohol (as well as other drugs for that matter!).

      Delete
  8. Just tell us your OK brother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long term reader, first time responder.

    Please let us know where you are at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Guy,
    Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are there not any Phone Records of this so-called snitch....There are records of everything we do. A posting on the Net, Speed Cameras and Cameras everywhere. The Police observe & Gov't observe any change in Lifestyle versus income. Plus Income Tax Filings-The Red Flags come up... Stay Your Ground. I hate lawyers--they always want copromise AND collect their Fee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miss you too. Hope you are ok. Sending light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. where are you, how are you? you fabulous human being. I fantasize that yer busy writing a book. I worry that you are in pain and isolating. I hope that you are just bored with your blog and can't be bothered to respond to our selfish pleas for more of your delicious words, your potent sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do hope you're not in jail, or at the bedside of a dying loved one, or dealing with something hugely painful - but if you are, know that many prayers and thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buddy Boy! God Bless and hope all is well from California! Please do write you bad ass good buddy! Miss your posts... I am struggling man.

    ReplyDelete
  16. maybe in rehab with no internet access? OK... I'm done speculating. Just wishing you the very very very best. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Listen Colin Hayes - Anger and Forgiveness - it's for you.

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here