Cannibal Serial Killers

Serial killers have always intrigued me - how a man can kill and then go back to normality - dispose of the body, have a shower, get groceries.

And I have read dozens of books on the topic, so I know that alcoholism is intrinsically tied to serial killers - whether they kill when they are drunk or whether they are on the drinking roller coaster.

You've all heard of Jeffery Dahmer, the Milwaukee Serial Killer who started eating his kills and was finally caught with skulls and body pieces in his fridge. Dahmer was a heavy drinker since his mid teens, like Dennis Nilsen and countless others.

What I can identify with is the level of cool detachment required in the act of returning to normal. As an alcoholic it is this same detachment that allows us to veer perilously close the edge, and then somehow think we are entitled to feel able to "return to normal" the next day. In our work, with our families, at the local shop - as though the devastating act of drunkeness and self-neglect never happened.

As an alcoholic, my last 100 days have been great - no drinking, working hard on my garden and spending time with my daughters. It is simply invigorating to be out and about getting on with life without the cloud of alcohol looming over me.

And I appreciate in the afternoon and on Fridays when the drums start to beat in my ears and what seems like the rest of the world is destined for a drink, that I don't have to worry about this anymore. That drinking is a foe I have stared down and won a reprieve from, so long as I maintain my discipline and awareness.

Spencer Johnson
call this period a peak, where you are in a good place but sometimes, somehow, you manage to stuff it up and go back into a valley in his book Peaks and Valleys.

"Be humble and grateful. Do more of what got you there. Keep making things better. Do more for others. Save resources for your upcoming Valleys"

Very simple stuff eh? By keeping an awareness of where we are and actively working to make sure we sustain what got us there, we can stay up on a peak for longer - indefinitely even.

Which is where the serial killers come back into it. Time and time again, the serial killer is brought undone by a trifling oversight - like driving without lights on (Peter Sutcliffe) or using stolen software (BTK Killer) - which is so incredibly minor in the scale of what they have been doing.

But the serial killer has gone past the point where small details can be processed and managed, as the big picture of killing and body disposal takes up most of their cognitive ability and thought processes. So if they screw up on a minor thing like an out of date license or vehicle number plates - who cares? At least it's not being busted for the murders.

But this same line of thought leads them to make more and more lazy, brazen risks and inevitably draws attention from the authorities. And the authorities just as likely stumble upon another oversight, like a blocked drain (Dennis Nilsen) and on investigation, find it is clogged with chunks of rotting flesh.

So it was with my drinking. In a breathtakingly naive attempt to remain "slightly almost but not quite" drunk from after breakfast until I collapsed at night, I would drink little bits here and there and try to maintain a drunken plateau. But I would forget things, or overlook obvious signs I was drunk, and to everyone else, I was slurring on a Wednesday before lunch. That's why I can't drink anymore.

7 comments:

  1. All that time we wasted, thinking our act was fooling everyone, when the only ones we were fooling were ourselves. All that effort for naught. Now that we're clear eyed we can see how futile it all was and we just shake our heads and ask, "Why did I waste all that time? All that effort? What else could I have accomplished?"

    We'll never get it back, we just have to grab onto the future and not let alcohol cannibalize it, too

    Love you, my bright and sunny friend. Am I really saying that after you just wrote a blog about serial killers? But see, you sound much brighter and sunnier than you did when you were busy letting alcohol eat you alive. You weren't fooling us.

    Kary

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter explained her heroin use like that to me. She wanted to use just enough to feel "normal," but the tiniest granule too much and she couldn't hold her eyes open. The tiniest granule not enough and she was sick and filled with pain. It was always this exhausting balancing act. So now, like you, she is trying to live without.
    I am so happy that you both have made that decision to try life without the exertion of all of that balancing and sneaking and hoping no one notices... so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant analogy! It really explains those moments of insanity that precede picking up a drink again. How many times have I thought to myself,"I'll just drink tonight and return to normal life tomorrow" only to go on a week long bender that always ended in disaster....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very good analogy and something to think about. I don't miss that "return to normal life" feeling anymore; the pounding headache, restless sleep, trying to remember the part of the night before that I'll never remember and worrying. Hope you're doing good today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So drinking can really go that worst and far enought to kill and eat fresk flesh. Are there special methods of treatmetns from alcohol rehab centers for such cases?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to this: Also an alcoholic interested in serial killers. I think there are many similarities in the behaviors, like the ability to keep big secrets from the people closest to you without a hitch.
    Alcoholism can make you a psychopath temporarily, even if you're not an actual one. (I don't mean when drunk, I mean the whole lifestyle)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting comparison, and certainly one I've never thought of before, but it's true. Somehow, the little things just slip away before you even realize it. And then suddenly, you're grasping at straws to explain them away. I know the feeling well...

    ReplyDelete

Join my email list here